Sackets Harbor Military Cemetery
Our Mission: To honor our Veterans with a final resting place that commemorates their service and sacrifice to our Nation.
- Gravesites are assigned by the Village Office and cannot be selected in advance.
Assignments are made without regard to rank, ethnic or religious background, branch of service or other factors.
- No reservations can be made, and the plot will be the next one in line.
Contact the Village office at 315-646-3548 to make arrangements for the burial or arrangements can be made through your funeral director.
- The Sackets Harbor Military Cemetery Burial Form must be completed with a copy of
the Veterans DD-214 and submitted to the Village Clerk. Payment must be received prior to burial.
- The Village does not conduct the ceremony or provide a Military escort. The Funeral Director will assist families in making arrangements for the Military ceremony.
The Sackets Harbor Military Cemetery is divided into 2 sections. Please read the rules for each section to assist you in deciding which section is best suited for your needs.
- The Veteran and spouse are interred in the same grave although due to soil depths the spouse must be cremated. If both were veterans, they may choose to be buried side by side in separate graves.
- Headstone: Only flush mounted plaques are allowed and may be ordered through the Veterans Administration. There is now space for the spouse's name under notes. The spouse may also choose to have a separate flush mounted plaque. The Funeral Directors will assist you in this process. The Funeral Director can have the plaque directly shipped to the Village of Sackets Harbor, 112 N. Broad Street, Sackets Harbor, N.Y. 13685. The Village will place the plaque in concrete as weather permits. If the family chooses to purchase marble for the plaque to be mounted on, they can make arrangements with a monument company.
- The veteran and spouse are interred in the same grave and have the option of a stacked casket burial or cremation. If both were veterans, they may choose to be buried side by side in separate graves.
- Headstones: Plaques may be ordered through the Veterans Administration and be a slant or flush mount. There is now space for the spouse's name under notes. The spouse may also choose to have a separate slant or flush mounted plaque. The Funeral Directors will assist you in this process. The Funeral Director can have the plaque directly shipped to the Village of Sackets Harbor, 112 N. Broad Street, Sackets Harbor, N.Y. 13685. The Village will place the plaque in concrete as weather permits. If the family chooses to purchase marble for the plaque to be mounted on, then they will have to make arrangements with a monument company.
Sackets Harbor Military Cemetery Rules
- General maintenance of the cemetery will be provided by the Village DPW.
- Fresh flower arrangements are allowed on lots in a disposable container.
Items not allowed are the following: glass containers, artificial flowers, shepherd hooks, standup decorations, curbing, decorative rocks, fencing, hedging, grave mounds, borders, enclosures or devotional lights.
- Trees and shrubs are placed throughout the cemetery by the Village for the overall beauty and serenity of the grounds. Individual graves are not permitted to have trees or shrubs. Any such tree or shrub not approved by the Village may be removed without notice.
- If a family would like to make a donation in memory of their loved one, they may do so by contacting the Village office @ 315-646-3548. The donation will be used for the beautification of the cemetery (such as trees, shrubbery, flowers, etc.)
- Due to weather conditions, there will be no burials from Nov. 15- April 15 unless the DPW Superintendent deems ground conditions are workable.
General information - Click here
- Claim for standard Government headstone or marker
- Illustrations of standards Government headstones or markers
- Memorial Products Service Form
- Claim for Standard Government headstone or marker Form
- Available emblems of beliefs for placement on Government headstones or markers
Sackets Harbor Military Cemetery Burial Form - Click here